31 Days of Self Love
Day 22: What are 10 things you are grateful that have happened to you?
- Taking my first breath. That is sacred. It is a gift. I think God’s name sounds like breathing because this is the moment the relationship really starts…with her breath.
- I’m grateful that I had sisters. They “happened” to me. One kept me sane in my youth. The other has been my friend in adulthood. Being the little sister didn’t eliminate me from their love and bonds.
- I am grateful that Mrs. Barbara Arlin was my 1st grade teacher. She might have been the first adult in my life who saw the real me. My potential. My heart. My creativity. My brain. She made me feel seen and loved. And she gave me a deep abiding love for books, reading, and all kinds of learning.
- I am grateful for my first kiss and every first kiss since then. Electricity, connection, possibility. Those are explosive emotions and I am so glad for each time that I’ve gotten to have that experience.
- I am grateful for the opportunity to learn. For good public schools. For a college education. For a masters degree. I still don’t believe that I use calculus but I am still glad that I was privileged to learn and grow my education.
- I am grateful for the opportunities to live in several states and now a few countries. It has been a blessing to have life, love, and friends all over the world.
- I am grateful for the good fortune I’ve had to have lovely bosses over the years…Margie, Safwan, Russ, Brad, Aaron.
- I am grateful for good mental health care and how it has changed, shaped, and helped me.
- I am grateful to have been loved well by good people…good friends, good family, good men, good colleagues. I have been fortunate to experience all kinds of love, admiration, and kindness and it has brought me joy.
- Above all, I am grateful that I have this life. That it belongs to me. That it is no one else’s. I am grateful to have the privilege of freedom and to be the master of my own fate and the captain of my own soul (to quote Invictus by William Ernest Henley…thanks Monique!)